Sean D. O’Dowd, Associate
T (916) 564-6100 ext. 234
F (916) 564-6263
Assistant: Melanie Fitzpatrick – Ext. 211
Mr. O’Dowd joined Angelo, Kilday, and Kilduff in 2016 and has an extensive background in representing law enforcement personnel. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. O’Dowd represented peace officers in administrative investigations and disciplinary hearings on behalf of their associations. Mr. O’Dowd prides himself on being an effective advocate for his clients, and has developed a reputation among his opponents as being “tough, but fair.”
Originally from Southern California, Mr. O’Dowd completed his undergraduate degree at CSU, East Bay, where he achieved All-West Region honors as a member of the baseball team. As a law student at UOP McGeorge, Mr. O’Dowd served as a staff writer for the school’s law review and earned a Witkin Award for Advanced Legal Writing and Oral Advocacy.
In his free time, Mr. O’Dowd enjoys spending time with his wife and children, and can be found at any one of the Sacramento-area golf courses. Mr. O’Dowd also proudly serves his country as a judge advocate in the United States Army Reserve.
Public Entity Defense; Police Practices Defense; Civil Rights Litigation; Employment Litigation; General Torts
- PIT Stop: Court Deference to Law Enforcement in Vehicle Pursuit Cases (6/2016)
- “Chapter 834: Clearing a Roadblock in the Battle over Same-Sex Marriage,” 44 MCGEORGE L.R. 661 (2013).
- “Chapter 595: Banning the Use of Dogs to Hunt Bears and Bobcats,” 44 MCGEORGE L.R. 669 (2013).
- CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RECORDS ACT CASE ALERT: Los Angeles Cnty. Bd. Of Supervisors v. Sup. Ct. –Privacy Privilege in Attorney’s Legal Invoices (Mostly) Trumps Public’s Interest in Transparency
Admitted to Practice
- All California State courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- February 2016-present
- Angelo, Kilday & Kilduff – Associate
- Defends public entities and employees in Federal and State Courts in a variety of practice areas, such as Civil Rights, Police Practices, and Employment Litigation.
- Goyette & Associates, Inc. – Associate
- Represented public employees, such as peace officer and firefighters, in administrative and civil proceedings for a variety of issues, including officer-involved shootings and in-custody deaths.
- California State University, East Bay, 2007- B.A.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2013- J.D., with Distinction
- Traynor Honor Society
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada