John A. Whitesides, Partner
T (916) 564-6100 ext. 201
F (916) 564-6263
Assistant: Julie A. Kraus – Ext. 210
Mr. Whitesides, a principal attorney of the firm, manages the firm’s appellate practice and tackles a number of civil rights cases. He also has experience with all lines of insurance including auto/truckers, general liability, property, credit, disability, health, life and inland marine and significant experience in insurance policy drafting and representation of insurers regarding insureds’ bankruptcy. Mr. Whitesides works with his clients to develop a clear understanding of the core legal issues at play in each case and find the most effective strategy for addressing them. His colleagues note his matter-of-fact approach to dealing with cases that often results in early resolution and low discovery costs as well as his passion for detailed legal analysis and seemingly intuitive understanding of case law.
Mr. Whitesides graduated from U.C. Irvine, magna cum laude and phi beta kappa, with a B.A. in Philosophy. He received his J.D. from Duke Law School in 1986 and was admitted to practice in California in 1986. Prior to joining Angelo, Kilday & Kilduff in 2007, he was associated with, and a partner in another defense firm in Sacramento. He spent 21 years litigating cases involving all areas of insurance from pre-litigation through trial, including litigation in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Alabama, Georgia and Delaware. Primarily responsible for pretrial, trial and appeal of largest civil case in Sacramento County Superior Court’s history which spanned 17 years at the trial level. He has conducted ADC and CEB courses on insurance law, and has conducted an annual California Insurance regulation claim-handling training for claims adjusters. Mr. Whitesides has also served for many years on the Voluntary Dispute Resolution Panel for the United States District Court for the Eastern District in Sacramento. Mr. Whitesides also enjoys spending time with his daughter, Jenna, and two Greyhounds, Hoss and Stacy.
- Mann et. al v. City of Sacramento et. al (9th Cir. Sept. 7, 2018) No. 17-17048, 2018 WL 4268534
- Peruta v. County of San Diego (9th Cir. 2016) 824 F.3d 919, cert. denied sub nom. Peruta v. California, 137 S. Ct. 1995, 198 L. Ed. 2d 746 (2017)
- Meddock v. County of Yolo (2013) 220 Cal.App.4th 170
- Buzayan v. City of Davis Police Department, et. al (9th Cir. 2011) 431 Fed. Appx. 551
- Fabbrini v. Dunsmuir (9th Cir. 2011) 631 F.3d 1299
- Johnson v. Lewis (2004) 120 Cal.App.4th 443
- Peppermill v. Industrial Indemnity Co. (9th Cir. 1995) 46 F.3d 1144.
- Sacore Partnership Cases (1996) Sacramento Superior Court Case No. C034522
- All California State courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- 2007 – Present
- Angelo, Kilday & Kilduff – Principal Attorney
- Areas of emphasis: complex litigation, public entity representation, appellate practice, insurance law, contract law, environmental law.
- 1986 – 2007
- Bolling, Walter & Gawthrop – Shareholder and Associate
- Extensive experience litigating and advising re insurance law issues, contractual indemnity issues and appeals in state and federal courts, as well as binding contractual arbitrations.
- J.D. Duke Law School 1986
- Graduate Coach – Track
- Univ. of Calif. at Irvine, B.A. Philosophy, Magna Cum Laude (1983)
- Phi Beta Kappa (as Jr.)
- All-PCAA Track 1984
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Torts and Insurance Law section of the ABA
- Association of Defense Counsel